Beads and Yarn

I have a secret. I love coming home from a bead show, dumping all of my purchases into one big pile on the table and running my fingers through all of my new beads. All that beautiful color and texture! Even though I buy from different vendors, my purchases reflect ideas and images I’ve been thinking about lately and they all seem to match in one way or the other. Do you experience the same thing?

I’m thinking of a bead embroidery cuff for the face cab from Earthenwood Studio. Isn’t it fabulous?

My dumping/ooh-ing and aah-ing ritual reminds me of when my kids returned from trick or treating on Halloween night and all the stashes got dumped on the family room rug. First, Mom or Dad would go through to pick out any suspicious looking items (and the Butterfingers) and then the trading would begin.

Here’s some detail of a strand of unique snakeskin jasper and pearls I couldn’t resist along with amethyst and peridot. A lot of my stone bead purchases were made from Momminia of Cold Spring, NY. A husband and wife team, Marlene and Steve Goodrich are quick to share their in depth knowledge about any of their stones. So, buying from them is both an education and a treat to the eyes. Even though my daughter isn’t at all into beads like I am, she listened intently while they named the different stones and where they originated. Here’s some faceted rhodolite garnet. We couldn’t resist that amazing raspberry color. It will go fabulously with black, I think.

Last but not least, my yarn purchases from my Michigan trip in March. I also discovered a yarn store called Knitting Pointers, right down the street from my new home, and I visited there last weekend. I couldn’t resist the pale muted colorway on the left.

The brand name is “Poems”. What a perfect name for what these colors inspire in me.

“I want to make poems that look into the the earth and the heavens and see the unseeable.

I want them to honor both the heart of faith, and the light of the world;

the gladness that says, without any words, everything.”

-Mary Oliver

14 comments on “Beads and Yarn

1. Judy says:

Karen… oh those look so yummy… I can feel your happiness… and, yes, I can also relate to the trick or treat scenario. C u soon. Judy

Thanks my Art Doll friend, c u soon!

3. summeralyssa says:

I do the same thing:) I happened across a bead shop in my city that I’ve never been to before, and -of course- came home with some gorgeous stuff! I dumped it on my desk and proceeded to play with them:) I also pull out my stash on a regular basis to play and be inspired anew. I agree – experiencing texture and color is (at least) half the fun of being a beader. I also purchase according to current longings and attitude. After six months of brutal Michigan winter, my new creations are colors and shapes that whisper of new life in spring:)

4. Frivolitea says:

Wow. What wonderful colors and textures. can’t wait to see what you create!

Hi Summer, thanks for sharing your bead experiences! Ah yes, I’m very familiar with those brutal MI winters, they’re similar to New England. Enjoy all of the new life blooming around you!

Thanks Lynn. Me too!

6. Dora says:

Great stuff, Karen !!! I love looking at and touching all my treasures too !
    A bead embroidered cuff would be a great piece to make with the face cab, I agree !

7. Ooooo I am soooo jealous! I need to go to a bead show ASAP, so I too can dump out a bag of beady treasures to run my fingers through!!! Oh the possibilities!

8. Aimee says:

🙂 I remember those days of trading candy. I’m interested to see what you make of your new beads!

Hello, my dear! Those candy trading days were a lot of fun, weren’t they? Soooooo, maybe a necklace for a certain dear daughter? 🙂

10. Acey says:

what beautiful things you brought home with you. Yes, I have often found running themes in the purchases I buy. I hardly every plan what I’m looking for, I just buy on impulse but there are always threads to my current interests and dreams. I don’t think about the coordination – it’s completed sub conscious. So I do like to see it “after the fact” once I’m back home. So I guess you could say I share your secret.

11. Aimee says:

A necklace for a certain dear daughter would be great! 😀

Thanks Acey. I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one. 😉

Ok, it’s a deal! 🙂

Thanks Cindy for your comments! I’m sorry I didn’t respond sooner but your comment was marked as Spam by WordPress.