Saturday Morning Tea

I’m gazing out my window on another cloudy damp day. We’ve had quite a few of those this past week. The tops of the trees are swaying in a gentle breeze. It is so quiet here save for the occasional bird call and the hum of my computer. This is the type of quiet that allows me to access my inner space, a nice balance to the busyness of my life lately.

This morning’s tea is a China black tea called Pu-ehr Tuo Cha. The leaves are compressed into small bowls or what I like to think of as tiny birds’ nests. Pu-ehr tea is divided into 2 classifications, raw and cooked, depending upon the processing method. This particular tea falls into the cooked category. It undergoes a double fermentation not unlike what happens in a compost pile. The leaves actually begin to decompose, giving them a strong earthy taste when steeped.

There have been numerous studies done on Pu-ehr tea with results that it appears to lower cholesterol. The Chinese have long enjoyed its medicinal benefits for aiding digestion, especially with fatty foods.

The leaf is so dark after steeping. I usually break up the tuo cha a little bit to help the leaves unfurl from their compressed state. I steeped them for 7 minutes in boiling water. The strong earthy fragrance was mirrored in the taste. I find that I enjoy its rich, dark flavor much more with milk and a little honey added.

This afternoon I am going out to purchase some tables for my studio. A big thank you to all who offered suggestions on tables and lighting and set up!

8 comments on “Saturday Morning Tea

1. teaescapade says:

I have been drinking Pu-erh this week as well. This week was my first experience. From where did you purchase your Pu-erh?

Hi teaescapade, thanks for visiting! If you click on the link for the Pu-ehr Tuo Cha above, it will take you to the tea’s page. This is where I get my tea. Enjoy your Pu-ehr!

3. Steph W says:

Lovely photos, as always. I enjoy pu-erh on the occasions when I’m being introspective, much like you describe. It’s a very complex flavor! When I do tea tastings, I ask people to put aside whether they like the tea and find descriptive words for it. A fun challenge!

What a great idea! It is challenging coming up with descriptive words for some teas.

5. enrique f says:

i´m agree with you, the life´s core reside in those silent, humble, simple moments…enhanced with pu-ehr tea. we don´t have a variety of teas in my country but sometimes i can find pu-ehr tea filters…. i love it. Great blog. Regards…

6. Marcus says:

Hello. While reading your thoughts on Pu ehr I found it interesting that you enjoy adding milk to your tea. I have work for a tea company for 2 years now and have studied different types of teas during that time. Anyway, I thought you might want to know that when you combine milk and tea the two have a chemical reaction that cancels out most to all of the health benefits of the tea. Just wanted you to know.

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your comments, Marcus! While I am aware that tea contains health benefits, that is not why I drink it. I drink it for the wonderful taste and enjoyment!

8. […] instead of tea, it’s that dark. You can read more about this type of tea and its processing here and […]