Saturday Morning Tea

fullmoonset.jpg

As the full moon set on this frosty morning, I rose out of bed and wrapped myself in a big fluffy robe to greet the day. A perfect morning for something spicy to warm me up, I simmered some Chai in a pan on the stove while I made breakfast.

chaispiceleaf.jpg

Masala chai is a traditional Indian blend of black tea and spices – cardamon seed pods, cinnamon pieces, clove, ginger and black pepper. An Indian gentleman once told me that they would add the black tea leaves to the sweetened milk and then go to their spices and throw this and that in to simmer. So, each family had their own recipe and that could vary from day to day.

chaispicesimmering.jpgchaicuppa.jpg

I used Chai Spice blend and added a couple of spoonfuls to a cup of organic 2% milk. I simmered this mixture for 10 minutes and then added sweetener to taste. This results in a very spicy cup so it is one of the rare occasions where I will add sweetener to my tea. It smooths out the sharpness of the spices, especially my extra spicy version. Demerara sugar is unrefined with a high molasses content and works especially well.

Mmmmm, delicious!

8 comments on “Saturday Morning Tea

1. Sue O'Kieffe says:

id love sharing tea with you!
    ~sue o’kieffe

And I with you! That would be lovely.
    -Karen

3. Toine says:

Hi Karen,

Nice photograph of the moon through the trees. Did you take it?

Toine

Thanks Toine! Yes, I leaned way out the window when I saw that marvelous shot.

-Karen

5. Steph W says:

Mmmmm! I also like to add fresh ginger, and it adds a very spicy element, too!

6. Jane Prana says:

This is a good recipe however I get my mix of leaves and spices from an organic tea company in California. They are the only ones that I could find that make the real deal. I just add milk or soy milk and sometimes mint and it is supper yummy.

Thanks for sharing, Jane!

8. […] This morning’s tea was actually started last night. In honor of my visit to the Rhode Island Polymer Clay guild meeting today, I steeped up some iced decaf chai tea to share with the group. I talked about this flavored spice tea and made the hot tea version here. […]