Saturday Morning Tea

Ah, the first day of May. I think it’s one of the loveliest months of the year here in New England. Everything is bursting with new growth and blooms, a color feast for the senses wherever you look. In honor of May, I am sipping the infusion of the tea flower. Not the tea leaf as I usually do but the flower itself of the tea plant, camellia sinensis.

The flowers are white but turn a golden yellow when they are sundried after picking. They do contain caffeine but it is much less than the leaf, making them a perfect choice for caffeine sensitive tea lovers.

The infusion steeps to a light golden color, much like the dry flowers. The aroma is honey sweet with a faint whisper of apple.

The flavor is quite sweet and lightly floral with hints of caramel. A wonderful refresher for any time of the day, hot or iced.

I’m enjoying my tea flowers in my newest teabowl. I wrote about it here. I love to drink lightly colored infusions in it so I can see the wonderful spiral on the inside of the bowl.

This weekend I am dusting off and pulling on my garden overalls and see what can be done in my new little yard. Perhaps a small grouping of colorful blooms here and there to lift my heart everytime I return home.

“All my life through, the new sights of nature made me rejoice like a child.” ~Marie Curie

7 comments on “Saturday Morning Tea

1. Judy Shea says:

I love the color of that tea. Make a good dye of paper or fabric, I bet. Can’t wait to see your flower bed.

2. Tea says:

This tea sounds wonderfully yummy and I love the tea bowl.

3. Katherine says:

How delicious! I love looseleaf tea, but have never heard of looseflower tea! I’ll have to tell the folks at Teavana to get on the ball!
    (My friend Susan, on Twitter, sent me to your blog today) 🙂

4. I found your blog by searching for a tea blog. I was thrilled that you are also an artist and a member of Creative Every Day. I feature a blog each day on my blog and the reason I was looking for a tea blog is because I participate in a small group collaboration called Tea Tuesday. I will be featuring your blog tomorrow (May 4) as my blog of the day.

I’ve had a fairly comprehensive look at your blog and your versatility is amazing. And of course, the tea is great, too. It’s really too bad I’ll be drinking coffee for Tea Tuesday tomorrow. I really enjoy tea, but need that jolt only coffee can provide.

Thanks for visiting, Katherine! There are plenty of places to get the tea flowers, enjoy!

Thanks for visiting and for your kind words about my blog, Elizabeth!

6. cha sen says:

That sounds intriguing, Karen, drinking a tea from the camellia sinenis flowers. Your glass teapot displays the blossoms so nicely. I sometimes like to brew flowering teas more for the aesthetics than the taste as I find many not very good.

But this tea, I would like to try.
    Thank you for posting about it.

7. Shaiha says:

Wow. I have never even heard of the tea flower. Where would you find some for sale?