Yarn Adventures

yarnballs012809

I find that as I get older, winter’s icy fingers burrow farther into my bones and muscles and no matter how many wooly layers I wrap myself in, I just can’t get warm enough. So, before the holidays, my desire to steep myself in warmth gently nudged me to seek out one of my passions that was now buried in tote bags in the back of my closet.  Balls of yarn in colors rich as jewels – amethyst, carnelian and ruby – spilled out onto the floor all around me like found treasure as I rummaged through my bags. I sat down with my long metal crochet hook and my big round balls of yarn and created long strips of color blocks that I then wove together with a tapestry needle, one by one. As my blanket grew, it cocooned around me, warming my body and my heart with the rhythm of the colorful stitches.

I was happy when I finally finished my blanket but sad to give up the meditative state of the needles so I dug back into my bags to unearth another ball of yarn in a gentle sage green with silky flecks of brown, green and blue. I created a scarf and then when that was done, it was back to my yarn stash. Now a ball of shiny ruby red. Another scarf. Hey, this is as addicting as beading. I wrote about making the blanket and 2 scarves here.

mittens012809

Before I left for my annual holiday trek to Michigan, my Mom told me not to bring any art projects with me because she had gone to the knitting store and picked up something for us to do. Oh joy, another adventure in knitting!  As the fairy lights twinkled like stars on my parents’ Christmas tree, I made my first pair of mittens out in snowy Michigan. While I was happily knitting away, I thought that it would be so nice to be able to wear my mittens while I work on my computer. So, I studied the mitten pattern and adapted it to create a pair of open mittens, that is, with no tips on the fingers. I know that there are knitting patterns out there for a pair of fingerless gloves, in fact, Dave has a pair where the top of the mitten flaps back to reveal the fingerless glove. I just wanted something simple with an opening for my fingers so I could type unrestricted. I used a double strand of wooly yarn for thickness and warmth and was able to make them in one evening. This is a great project for using all of those bits and pieces of yarn left over from other projects. It’s fun to use 2 strands of different yarns to create interesting color and texture.

mittensfingerless012809

As we enter this last week of January, I feel a stirring in the inner chambers of my heart that whispers of thawing and melting. Perhaps it is just coming from the creative visualization that I’ve been doing for my frozen shoulder or just plain ol wishful thinking but I’d like to dream that spring is not too far away.

12 comments on “Yarn Adventures

1. Judy says:

Karen… I love your fingerless mittens. The cold is quite bitter this season; I find myself always reaching for something to throw on my shoulders. Another comforting post my dear, with your knitting and talent.

Thanks, Judy dear.

3. tabby says:

wonderful warm and snuggly mittens~love them!
    quite cold and snowy here in Ct. but i so love winter 🙂
    the only thing i can knit is scarves-vbg
    thanks for sharing
    enjoy your day
    tabby

4. Steph W says:

Ooooh – what a feast for the eyes and the arms! I love fingerless mittens!

The tea room I mentioned is the St. James Tearoom. It’s near Old Town in Albuquerque, and is a must-see. It’s just lovely…tho it is expensive. If you go, be sure to share your experience with me!

5. Steph W says:

Here is the website. One of the reasons I love this place is because it moves beyond just finger sandwiches and has very creative savories. Plus, I love all the little niches that you can be seated in. And Mary Alice, the owner, is a delightful woman.

6. Ah, yes, yarn! Spent all of October, November, and December practically buried in the wonderful stuff — made so many handwarmers and earwarmers I lost count.

Your mittens are beautiful!

Kathy V in NM

7. sueokieffe says:

i have recently taken up knitting again m’self. i love your fingerless mittens too. and im excited by all the possibilities in that yummy yarn.

Thanks so much for your kind words Tabby. Enjoy your day, too!

Thanks so much Steph for the info about that Albuquerque tearoom.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time with yarn, Kathy. Thanks!

Thanks Sue, enjoy your knitting!

9. Dora says:

Beautiful yarns, Karen, and I like the fingerless mittens. What a great solution to cold hands at the computer !

Thanks Dora, it helps so much with this never ending winter!

11. Toine says:

Hello Karen,

I have the knitting bug also. Isn’t it a great thing to do during the winter? I, too, feel sad when I finish something, as I love the process so much. I love your fingerless mittens. I recently knitted a pair of wristwarmers for my friend, and she loves them. I found them on knitty.com :

Looking forward to your next blog!!

Toine

Thanks Toine! Knitting makes me feel so cozy. It’s a lovely activity to immerse yourself in during the wintertime. Those wrist warmers are beautiful. I can see how your friend loves them!