The Birth of a Freeform Peyote Bracelet – Part 3

I’ve done some more work on my freeform bracelet and it’s slowly but surely getting wider. Because of the different size beads I’m using, it’s starting to lean to one side on the left end. This will work to my advantage, however, because I want to add a coin shaped freshwater pearl and was looking for the perfect place to put it.

It fits perfectly in this little spot right here. Once I add it, I’ll just bead around it with a loop of beads. This loop will eventually be incorporated into the rest of the bracelet as will the large pearl. In this way, you may add anything you’d like to your piece.

I’ve been adding pearls here and there. I also love to add “bridges”, a loop of beads that cross over from one side to the other. This gives the surface of the piece wonderful texture. You can choose to leave the loop as is or add some more beads to it on your next pass around.

At this stage, I will add the larger beads/objects and then assess which parts of the bracelet need to be built up more. You can leave the edges wavy and uneven or try and even them up before you finish the piece. Also keep in mind that if you add to the ends, it will increase the length of your bracelet, of course. I usually start with a 6 inch length so I can add to the ends without worrying about it getting too big. Another thing to keep in mind is what type of clasp you’d like to add. This will add length to the bracelet as well.

If anyone is being inspired to create their own piece, please let me know. I’d love to see photos!

9 comments on “The Birth of a Freeform Peyote Bracelet – Part 3

1. samina says:

Wow this looks amazing, I’d love to start making my own jewellery (especially as I spend so much money on it!)- could you recommend a good book?

Thanks Samina for your kind words about my bracelet! It depends on what type of jewelry you’re interested in making.

3. samina says:

earrings and bracelets would be a good start 🙂

4. sueokieffe says:

i love watching the progression of your bracelet. im thinking how good this bracelet will feel to wear. lucky you! (or whoever you might decide to gift with it!)

5. Lisa Clarke says:

Love the colors you are using for this bracelet!

6. doras_explorations says:

The bracelet looks beautiful, Karen ! The colors are marvelous, and it has a very organic feel to it. Can’t wait to see it when it’s done !

Thanks Sue, I’m glad to hear that you’re enjoying following the creation of my bracelet. It’s a lot of fun to create and also to document!

Thanks Lisa, I’ve really enjoyed working with this color palette! It’s been with me for several months now. Glad to hear you love it, too.

Thanks Dora, for your kind comments about my bracelet!

8. Melissa says:

Thank you so much Karen for the inspiration! I would love to show you where I am so far…but I don’t know how to post a pic with a comment…