The Birth of a Freeform Peyote Bracelet – Part 2

Here is what I’ve accomplished today. You can see how I am starting to place the beads in such a way so that the colors are drifting into each other. This will soften that striped look. Because I’m using various size beads, the bracelet starts to get a bit wavy but I can adjust that as I go along by where I place the beads and how many I place.

Sometime I place 2 same size beads at once to fill in a space.

To add a larger size 6 bead, I sandwich it between smaller size 11 beads and make a little bridge by skipping more than the usual one bead.

Or, instead of staying on one side of the bracelet, I can move to the other side by placing size 15 beads (the lighter ones) across the top.

I love to add pearls because they give a lustrous, organic look. Another little bridge. Play with the placement and see which beads work best. Follow your inner voice.

Sometimes bridges can go across to the other side. Those green chips are peridot. I found them at a bead show I went to last spring. The clarity is amazing.

A closeup of one side.

And the other side.

If you want a thinner bracelet, all that’s left to do is to add beads in such a way to even it out and then add a bead/button and loop clasp. The clasp is beaded in a freeform way so that it fits right in with the rest of the bracelet. Because I’m having such a wonderful time with this, I’ve decided to continue beading and make this bracelet wider. Stay tuned for more progress…

13 comments on “The Birth of a Freeform Peyote Bracelet – Part 2

1. Judy says:

Karen… just beautiful. I can’t even begin to think of taking on beading.. I am so in awe of you. I love the way you go through the steps and the colors are radiant. J

Thanks Judy, this has been so much fun to do!

3. nina says:

love the mixture of sizes and textures here – very spontaneous in feeling. xx

4. This is coming along beautifully, Karen!

Kathy V in NM

5. libzoid says:

Oh Karen, you are making me itch to bead (That’s a good thing!). I am enjoyig watching this bracelet develop. Some day we should organize a blog bead-along.

6. craftymoose says:

I have wanted to try this technique forever! I think with your excellent photos and explanation, I am ready! Thank you for sharing.

Thanks Nina, I wanted very much to convey that free, improv type of feeling.

Thanks so much, Kathy!

Hi Libby, I’m so glad to be inspiring you as you have inspired me so very much. A blog bead-a-long would be awesome! I’m in.

You’re very welcome Debbie! Enjoy! If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me. 🙂

8. bonnie says:

You make it look so easy and fun! Can’t wait to see how you finish the ends.

Thanks Bonnie, it is so much fun and easy once you get into the rhythm of it.

10. Carol says:

Hi, thanks for visting and commenting on my page. I tried this technique on one of MY attempts at freeform, but I bead with tight-tight tension and was not happy with the starting results. Yours is very nice and shows me that I just need to try again. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks Carol for visiting! You’re very welcome!

12. LB says: